Kaspia and Benjamin’s Wedding in Cosmo Bride’s Best Real Weddings
Cosmopolitan Bride’s Best Real Weddings 2012
Kaspia and Benjamin’s Wedding – Coorabella – Byron Hinterland
Theme Gypset – defn “Gypset (Gypsy+jet set) is about an emerging group of artists, musicians, fashion designers, surfers, and bon vivants, who lead semi-nomadic, unconventional lives. They are people I’ve met–or been inspired by– in my travels who have perfected a high-low approach to life that fuses the freelance and nomadic wile of a gypsy with the sophistication and global references of the jet set. It’s an alternative way of traveling and living that’s based more on creativity than money.
Venue: Coorabella House, the old Coorabella Homestead tucked into the hinterland valley behind Byron, with fig trees like forest Gods and a view you could almost believe was brushstroked.
In keeping with their vibrant abundant approach, an eastern inspired feast at the table proved the perfect menu.
We started with palate cleansers of minted icy watermelon bites on pink flamingo toothpicks. Once cleansed, the canapés rolled out while guests took in that knockout view around the pool. The handsome verandah then played host to all guests at one big, long pink table. It looked fantastic.
Our menu lightly captured the eastern flavour of the day, and we chose ingredients and garnishes which bedazzled the dishes & heightened the senses. Not to be outshone mind you, by the very beautifully bejeweled congregation.
To explain the deconstructed Arabian inspired tiramisu; the term deconstruction refers to the components of the tiramisu being separated so that each part can then be put back together by the guests. Your typical tiramisu has sponge fingers soaked in liqueur, then layered with a marscapone cream and topped with cocoa.
Our deconstruction saw the sponge fingers iced with a honeyed frangelico sabayon, to be dunked into potent little espresso martinis served on the side. Pistachio & rose nougat, giant marshmallow, white chocolate, drunken white mulberries, gold leaf & silver sugared almonds and vanilla Persian fairly floss all featured in the tower. We made several abundant platters of these, dotted with miniature tea lights, and delivered them down the centre of the table for everyone to tuck into. A great way to finish off the menu. (See below for the full menu)
To Begin (canapés by the pool)
- BBQ Prawns on a Skewer, marinated in Garlic, Lemon, Chilli, Herbs
- Chilli and Ginger Caramelised Pork Belly, on a bed of Salted Nashi Pear Salad
- Salt and Pepper Baby Squid, Nam Jim Dip
- Chargrilled Halloumi, Zucchini and Caramelised Lemon on Rosemary Skewers
Entre (abundant mezze platters on the table)
Smoked Trout Dip, Beetroot Orange and Fennel Dip, Cumin Spiced Hummus, Pernod Spiked Gravalax, Crispy Prosciutio, Sage Darby, Marinated Fetta, Artichoke Hearts, Asparagus, Warmed Olives, Bread Sticks, Ficelle, Lavosh.
- Slow Roast Shoulder of Lamb on Caramelised Onion with a Chermoula & Garlic Rub; Garnish of Oregano Leaves, Sticky Jus, Chives, Slow Roast Baby Truss
- Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Dates, Preserved Lemon, Chickpeas, Zucchini, Baby Peas, Harissa Yoghurt with; Garnish of Julienned Lemon, Pomegranate
- Persian Jewelled Rice, with Pistachio, Flaked Almond, Saffron, Orange, Coriander, Mint, Parsley, Chilli, Red Onion, Red & Green Capsicum, Preserved Lemon
- Steamed Spring Greens tossed with Lemon, EVOO
- Salad of Rocket, Fennel, Orange, Persian Fetta, Whitloof, Blanched Pistachio
- Pull-apart Bread Loaves baked with Spinach, Fetta, Caramelised Onion
- Butter, EVOO and Balsamic
Dessert (Middle eastern inspired sweet canapés)
- Arabian inspired Tiramisu; Espresso Martini with Savoiardi Fingers, Honeyed Mascarpone, Candied Walnuts, Sugared Almonds, Nougat, Turkish Delight, Persian Fairy Floss, White Chocolate.
- Served deconstructed as a giant platter.
*The amazing imagery and colors of the day were captured by Hailey of You Can’t Be Serious Photography*